All the inspiration here is from Terrain Tutor – http://www.theterraintutor.co.uk . He made it look so easy, so I thought I would have a quick experiment.
What I used:
- Multipurpose filler
- Plaster bandage £1 from Hobbycraft
- 6mm mdf
How long did it take?
- 15 mins – cutting and shaping the bases
- Paper and bandaging – 20 mins
- Filler coat 20 mins
I cut some mdf which I had laying around. Big saw and then a Dremel to shape and bevel. I made lots of balls of newspaper and taped them. Balancing roughly on the bases, I tried to create non-gravity defying irregular and organic shapes for the rock formations.
Cutting the bandage into thinnish strips, I wetted them and applied them – trying to get them into the crevices and in contact with the base.
I left them for a couple of hours to dry and the smoothed the bandages using the filler and a little water. Any finger lines I tried to redirect so they were horizontal – imitating striations.
So, next step the painting! Eek. However, I will have three pieces of terrain for Legion and Gaslands.